We met with Dr. Henry this morning. We talked with him for about an hour. What came out of it is that when I start my next cycle, he is going to take an x-ray of my uterus with a dye to look for some sort of protrusion that can cause miscarriages. If I have it, it is an easy fix he says. He said this x-ray is the only thing that can detect it, so I wouldn't already know from previous ultrasounds, etc. The only other test he even talked about that would possibly find anything is a blood test for Caleb and I that test for an issue on the chromosome level that can cause miscarriage. This is in about 2% of people, and if insurance doesn't cover it, which they sometimes won't, it is $900/person. The solution for this one is to take my egg out, find the bad chromosomes and then do In Vitro Fertilization. Not a route I really want to go. Super expensive and extreme...and we could end up the next Jon and Cate + 8!!!!! Pretty much, he thinks though unfair, I may just have "bad luck" for lack of better words, when it comes to pregnancies. He also thinks Progesterone therapy really doesn't do anything. If your body predicts something wrong, it stops providing for a pregnancy, ie, stops making progesterone. So, progesterone is not going to fix the root of the problem, which most likely is that the embryo didn't form right. He doesn't see a need at this point for extensive testing such as blood clotting and thyroid and so on, b/c I have no other indicators that these are issues for me.
Where we go from here...after the x-ray, if no repair needed, we can start trying again. He will watch me closely from the moment of finding out I'm pregnant until 12 weeks to monitor for a miscarriage. He's not watching b/c he can do anything about it really, b/c there's not really any saving it. He's just watching for it, and that means I don't have to sit around for weeks after a + pregnancy test wondering if it's gonna work or not. If we continue on this road of many miscarriages, that is when he sees a need for more testing. At this point, I have no other signs that concern him for more detailed testing. 1) I had a healthy and successful pregnancy. 2) I have no family history of any hereditary problems that would be the cause of this. He said, the average woman has an 85% chance of having a baby when they get pregnant. With my history, my % goes down to 75%. But, it's not like it's 10% chance or something crazy!
How we feel about this...I think I'm relieved....I think! He didn't look at my history, and talk to me, and act really concerned by it. So I think that's comforting. If what I'm dealt in life is to have miscarriages in order to get my kids, I'll deal with that. Now, like I've told God :), 3 is plenty in my opinion! But whatever it takes I guess. We're also glad that we don't have to do all of this crazy testing and then wait months and months to be able to try again. So now, we just pray for "Aunt Flo" to come visit soon!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment