Wednesday, March 9, 2011

18 week U/S...we're having..........

So, 1st things 1st....we had our ultrasound with the specialist on Monday, and the babies both look great! We had the family over that evening to reveal what we're having. I made cupcakes and put certain colored icing inside of them.
Here's what the cupcakes revealed....drumroll....
A boy and a girl! :) We are very excited! The U/S was about 30-40 minutes. They 1st did a vaginal one to check the length of my cervix. It is a concern with multiples that the mom's cervix may shorten, and that would need some intervention. But for now, mine looked good. They also looked very in depth at both babies. Here's things the U/S was looking at: 1. Their hearts, looking for holes and making sure their septums (wall between right side and left side of the heart) were closed, and they were. 2. Signs of chromosomal problems, such as the length of their long bones and they were good. 3. The brain (for fluid collections and such), all looked well 4. Clear division between the baby's sacs which was nice and thick 5. Closure of spinal cord to make sure they aren't coming through the back (spina bifida), which both looked great 6. Estimated weight of each to make sure they're growing at the same pace....so one isn't getting more nutrients than the other. They both were estimated to weigh right at 8oz! So, everything looked great! We go to our OB this thursday as a follow up. We will continue to get U/S every 4 weeks either with this specialist or with our OB. Those will mainly be to look at the length of my cervix and the growth/weight of the babies. We are so excited and relieved that they are looking so good. Obviously they can't guarentee anything, but from what they can tell, the major concerns that come with multiples are all ok. We thank God for His protection. And I will be honest and say that I think the most perfect choice if I could put an order in was for a boy and a girl. So I am very excited about that too! :) Here are the pics...
We didn't get the most amazing pics, but we may get some more exciting ones to come.
. Here is our son! :) To the left of the little white arrow is the umbilical cord, and then to the right is his manhood

And here is our daughter's lack of manhood! :) This is looking up at her bootie.

Our son's 'lil tootsies

Our daughter's 'lil tootsies

Part of the U/S routine here is to turn it into 3D. It for the most part really was just freaky. ;) They're so little and bony right now, and there's fluid floating around, so it's just weird looking, but I thought I'd put this one on here that shows them together all snuggled in there! Our daughter is on the left facing away, and our son has his arm in front of his face which he did the whole time it was in 3D :)

My growing belly (and cute shirt I had made that says "double trouble" with 2 sets of feet prints on my belly :)

Crazy how much it's grown in 4 weeks. Lord help me not be as big as my house!!! Thank you for your continued prayers for our little babies as they continue to grow big and strong!

6 comments:

Aunt Brooke said...

I'm excited that Bailey's prediction was correct...a boy and a girl! I can't wait to have another niece and nephew.
Love you guys!

aunt tiff said...

looks like brandon was the only one correctly finding out the news :)

Unknown said...

we are SO excited!!! Just what I ordered! Glad they are both healthy and growing strong!!!
LOve you guys!!
(Angel)

Brittany Oaks said...

Perfect!!! I love your shirt, those cupcakes, your adorable daughter, and the little punkins in your tummy:) your growing family is gorgeous.

Grandma said...

So glad that the babies are doing well and so is momma. A boy and a girl is just what Bailey ordered. God is good!

Allyson Neely said...

Heather... I'm just so excited for you guys. I really wish I could see you!!!! Its been soooooo long!!!! I have a wedding to shoot in Indy May 7th and may be able to visit for like 30 minutes or something some time that weekend, but either way, I'd love to see you all!!!
317.437.8509 call me sometime when you're not busy!